*What is your housing situation? Apartment, Urban/city house, Suburban, Farm? If you rent, or live in a Community with restrictions, are dogs allowed? What is the maximum size/weight dog that you are you allowed?
*What containment situation for you have in place to keep the puppy safe & secure? (leash only, fenced yard, large farmland, etc)
2. How many live in the home - Adults___ Children____ ages. If in the future, you have children or elderly parents to care for, how will you deal with your CD during the transition? Are your children familiar with appropriate ways to approach & play with a dog or puppy?
Have the children ever been exposed to dogs?
3. Are you employed, self-employed, retired, other? If so, where? How long?
4. Have you ever owned a Carolina Dog? If not, have you ever met a Carolina Dog? What do you know about Carolina Dogs?
Why do you want a CD specifically?
5. Do you currently own a dog? What breed/type? How many? Does your dog(s) have any problems with males, females, intact dogs, S/N dogs, small dogs, etc? Are your dog(s) good with other dogs or territorial and may need work for the addition of a new dog to the family? Please explain.
6. What other types of animals do you currently have?(cats, birds, snakes, horses, etc) How much access will your CD have to them? Are these pets familiar with interacting with other dogs?
7. Have you owned a dog(s) in the past? If so, what happened to them?
8. Have you ever raised a puppy?
9. Have you ever surrendered a pet to an animal shelter or sold/given a dog away? Have you ever been investigated, arrested or convicted of a crime involving animals? What was the circumstances?
10. Are there any circumstances that would cause you to give your Carolina Dog up?
Noisy/barks too much
Destructive when left alone?
Aggressive with other pets or children
Moving to housing that does not allow pets
Moving out of state/country
Personal or someone in the household illness
Dog medical problems/Medical expenses
11. If you are out of town on business or vacation what will you do with your Carolina Dog?
12. Who will be responsible for taking care of/ training the puppy? Will someone be home during the day with your puppy? What arrangements can you make for care while you are at work or away? Where will your puppy/dog sleep?
13. Are you familiar with Crate Training?
14. Carolina Dogs have been known to live to 16 or more years old, are you prepared to provide a "lifetime" home for your CD?
15. Do you have a fund set aside or means to provide any medical care your Carolina Dog may need, even emergency care?
16. Do you know what Natural Rearing is?(If you do not, please see the FAQ )Why do you want a "NATURALLY REARED" CD?
17. Are you familiar or experienced with NR (Natural Rearing) practices?
18. Are you prepared to continue on with the Natural Rearing practices(raw feeding, no vaccines, no chemicals on/in/around, natural care/remedies) with this dog?
19. Do you need instruction/coaching in a Natural lifestyle for your CD?
20. How familiar are you with Holistic & Naturopathic veterinary care? Do you have an established Vet, or one in mind? Are they open to Natural Rearing practices or willing to let you decide what is best for Your dog? Have you researched Holistic Vets or Naturopaths in your area?
21. What do you know about feeding a Species Appropriate Raw Diet? Are you open/willing to learn about this & try it for the maximum health of your CD?
22. My puppies come totally un-vaccinated. Are you willing to not vaccinate (except required by your state/county law) and to learn about Homeopathic Nosodes and building Natural Immunty?
23. Are you prepared to leave your dog intact, procure hormone saving spay/neuter procedures, or at least delay spay/neuter until the dog has finished growing? Why or why not?
24. Are you wanting this Carolina Dog for a pet, or do you wish to show, compete in dog sports or breed your Carolina Dog? Please explain.
25. Do you prefer a Male or Female or have no preference? If you have a definite preference, is there a reason for this?
26. Are your interested in a specific color or coat type?
Blanket Back Black
Piebald (white with ginger/light ginger splotches)
Tricolored(Black, White & brown/red)
COAT- In general all coats have very short fur on the face & fronts of the legs, a dense undercoat with longer (this is the varying lengths of the coat) guard hairs on the neck and back and "fringes" on the backs of the legs and tail. (*these coat lengths are MY terms, Carolina Dogs do not have "long" coats like Afghan Hounds or Pekingese Dogs) I am using other breeds as examples to give you an idea of what I mean.
*Traditional- "short" (like my male Cooter)Think Labrador-ish
*Medium - the guard hairs are just a bit longer than the "traditional" (like my Ellie Mae) think in between the length of a Labrador & Golden Retriever
*Long/Soft- the guard hairs are thicker, softer and longer (see pics of previous NWCDs Jesse, Shasta, Milo,& Ochre (think Golden Retriever or Australian Shepherd-ish)
27. If a Carolina Dog puppy in the litter were not available to match your specific sex, color or coat preferences, would you still be interested in a puppy from the litter? Would you want to wait for another litter(up to a year or more)?
28. What types of activities do you enjoy or want to do with your Carolina Dog?
Carolina Dogs are versatile and have excelled in many venues such as - pet-assisted therapy; competitions such as agility, barn hunt, weight pull, lure coursing; conformation shows; athletics such as jogging, hiking, biking, hunting; brain-work such as nose work, tracking, detection; or more common pursuits such as neighborhood walks, playing with the children or couch potato.
29. What energy(high energy, laid back, etc) do you prefer or think would work best with you family, pack & living situation? Why?
30. My process of placing my Carolina Dog puppies is a bit different than acquiring a puppy from a pet store or shelter, in that you will not be able to pick a specific puppy. You will be offered a puppy who best matches your family's expectations and goals, based upon weeks of observations, reviews of temperament testing, and confirmation. Do you have any concerns about this process?
31. Would you be willing to stay in contact (via email, text or facebook) with me throughout your dog's life with health, development and behavioral updates? I do require an update and current picture of your Carolina Dog at least once every 6 months. Carolina Dogs are a rare breed and it is crucial to the breed and future responsible breeding practices to have this information. I do occasionally share information with other breeders and researchers about my dogs and puppies, minus the owner's personally identifying information. Do you have concerns about this requirement?
32. Please tell me other things that interest you or that you enjoy doing. The more I know about you, your family and your lifestyle, the better I can match you with your future Carolina Dog.
Please feel free to attach pictures!
33. How did you hear about Nature's Way Carolina Dogs? (Website, word of mouth, facebook, etc)
* All puppies will be ID tattooed with a number unique to my kennel, and which can be registered at a reduced rate to The National Dog Registry by the owner. I am a NDR approved tattooer and I will be doing the tattoos at about 6-8 weeks of age.
*I look forward to this endeavor of puppy raising and also to communicating with & meeting the prospective puppy families! If you have any questions, please feel free to call me, email me or message me on face-book. Thank you(^^>